Thursday, January 8, 2009

Cop Stories

It's been sort of interesting collecting all of these stories for Bombshell. I was told that I made a huge mistake in referring to Graham Green as "Officer," as he works for the Sheriff's department and is therefore called "Deputy." I've been given information about procedures, academy, calls, and they all come with stories of course which I sprinkled into Bombshell and have been using in books two and three of the series. Some stories are incredibly funny, ironic, or just something that struck me as something to write about.

While looking through an online friend's Myspace photo album of her infant son who died of sids, it reminded me of the gentle officer who told me that his first SIDS call made him cry for three hours after he got home. He said the emotion of it all, the screaming mother, the grief-stricken father, it just hit him like a ton of bricks that sent him into uncontrollable sobbing. Of course he remained professional on the job, but once the uniform was off it all caught up to him.

At the end of the day they are still human beings. I tried very hard to convey that with my characters. Not only with the cop, but with the stripper. Strippers aren't sex-hungry devil women (or men.)

That's kind of a blanket statement but so is saying that all cops are callous assholes. They're not. I've met a few who have told me stories that suggest otherwise.

Just a thought I was having, is all.

No comments: