Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Good Honest Bombshell Review

I asked Kay of Kay's Bookshelf to review Bombshell. I don't know Kay, from IRL or online, but I happened across her great book review site and I liked how well worded her reviews were, like she's talking to you and telling you exactly why you should read this book, or why you shouldn't.

Kay's review of Bombshell is honest and absolutely on the dot as far as recognizing the symbolism and cliches, even if those cliches were put there on purpose ;)

Kay calls it a romance novel, and I've just been calling it general fiction, but she's from the very romantic country of Romania so I have to take her word for it.

"I liked the fact that the book was partially set in a strip club, having strippers as characters, because of the novelty of it (at least for me, I think it's the first such book I've ever read). I have never thought being a stripper was the same as prostitution (nor do I now, of course), and yet the book opened my eyes in a way I couldn't quite put my finger on. I am old fashioned enough to have thought that being a stripper equals lack of morals -- right now I think being a stripper equals lack of opportunities way more (as in the book were quite a few girls, including Marina, who chose this career because they needed the money (Marina to pay her school, her friend Silver to raise her girl) and there was no other way to make them). It all of course gets down to "judge not lest ye be judged", a saying I try to live by, and parts of the book have helped me to do just that." Read the full review



1 comment:

Maddy said...

Hmmm now that's worth investigating further.
Best wishes