Wednesday, February 18, 2009

This Is My Paragraph

I received an email from someone who is reading Bombshell at the moment with the subject line "This is my paragraph."

Pasted into the email is a paragraph from the book:

“The first time I ever saw a dead baby it was a SIDS call. I’ll tell

you, I cried for three hours straight that night when I got home. They do

everything they can to desensitize you in the academy, but it’s not all

guns and donut shops like they make it seem on TV. Then these god

damned kids, and not just the teenagers, but little 10 year olds, they’ll call

you a pig and say ‘I smell bacon’ but when a man breaks into their home

and steals their X-Box, who will they call? That stuff rolls off your back,

but it’s really thankless, Marina. And you know what? I can’t see myself

doing anything else, ever. It’s all I ever wanted to do, since I was little I

knew that this was where I belonged.”

I replied, "Tell me why this struck you." She said, "It’s how I feel about the job my parents do and that I once did. It explains it to a T. The way you’re taught not to care about anything except protecting, serving and solving the case. But no human can go into a home where a baby has died and not feel emotion. No person likes being ridiculed only to have to help the backstabber in their time of need."

I love writing things that people can relate to so strongly. And it makes me happy to see that she completely got the point. It made my day.

Also there is an interview posted over here that you should really look at. I discuss both books and my writing process and such, it's pretty interesting. Have a look!

No comments: